Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The Myth of Monday

     Well, after an awesome weekend that saw my two favorite football teams win and remain undefeated (The Alabama Crimson Tide and The Morris Blue Devils, for those who don't know).  A  beautiful Sunday that was just chocked full of awesomeness, and Sunday Night hanging with that Motley bunch I call my family, I was not at all ready for the new week to begin.  Mondays in general suck.  They suck a lot.  Mondays are the "dia del diablo"...day of the devil.  This Monday would be no different I was sure, and I had a full day of stuff to do, that I didn't want to do.  On top of all that my dearest wife was heading off to Oxford, Mississippi for some reason.  It had to do with work, but I was done with Ole Miss after my beloved Tide throttled them Saturday night.  Anyway, this Monday had some sure enough surprises in store for this ole boy.  The Myth of Monday begins now...
     The day started at 4 am.  I had not been able to sleep the night before for some reason.  Maybe, dreading Monday.  My wife woke, got her stuff together and had left for the great state of Mississippi by a few minutes after 5 am.  This was one of those times that I didn't say, "Thank God for Mississippi."  If you're from the Deep South, and Alabama in particular, we are normally close to last in all those Government rankings for education, healthcare, standard of living, and other stuff.  However, the one thing Alabamians can count on is not being ranked 50th, that distinction normally falls on Mississippi.  Thus, the mantra, "Thank God for Mississippi."  I wasn't thanking the good Lord for the Magnolia State on this day, however.  I had to get the kids up and ready for the day ahead, and prepare myself also.  Nothing new, just tedious at times.  Remarkably, the morning preparation went awesome.  Maddie listened to my instructions, and Jesse got up and took a bath with no complaints.  I even had time to sit down and drink a second cup of coffee without any nonsense going on around the ole homestead.  I thought, "Well this is only a distraction technique by the Monday devil, to lull me into thinking this day could go OK."  I got out of the house unscathed, and kids to school with no need for violence.  Things were rocking along all smooth like.  The next destination on my list was the campus of The University of Alabama-Birmingham, my home away from home.  I had a meeting at 10 am with my Environmental Science Professor to discuss my grade on a recent exam.  I arrived and it was raining.
      I knew the bottom was going to fall out at any moment.  I turned around in the car, and I realized that I had an umbrella in the backseat.  Well, who put that there?  A Guardian Angel to be sure.  I had about an hour to kill before my meeting so I decided to try and eat breakfast beforehand.  Upon arrival at The Commons on The Green I was greeted by the nicest lady at the front who welcomed me with open arms.  I felt like I was in the "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" or something for a minute there.  Then I went to get my standard breakfast fare, and I saw that they had bacon!  They never have bacon!  I love bacon!  After my second plate of, well, mostly...bacon, I was off to attend my meeting.  I found the location with absolutely no problem, no issue, and  No MIA the GPS.  I was rockin this deal.  The meeting went extremely well and my Professor was extremely nice and helpful, which I appreciated very much.  I was now off to talk about Post-World War II Europe.  A lively discussion it was, and I was hit with an inspirational moment as if directed by a muse...My paper topic that I had been stressing over, came to me.  Out of the blue.  Just came to me.  It's gonna be an awesome paper too.  It has to do with the strained ethnic relations in Poland pre and post war...TMI I know, but this was a good thing I promise you.  Plus, my Mother-in-Law is Polish, so maybe I can get some brownie points from doing a paper on the Motherland.  But I digress.  Monday's are normally my late day, because I have an Environmental Science Lab for 2 hours or so, and we normally go out and walk around creeks and test water and wildlife and stuff like that.  Kind of labor intensive, but it has its moments.  I was off to be all green and stuff...Environmental humor.
     I have to say that this Environmental Science Lab was pretty cool.  Found out that there will be a study guide for the midterm, which is awesome.  Got to see a snake and a turtle, and looked at a bunch of nasty stuff under a microscope.  Things were looking up.  Plus, I got to hang out with my buddy Tim and make jokes about Captain Planet.  It seems everyone wasn't exactly thrilled with their test scores in the classroom portion of Science class, but I told them that I had met with the Professor earlier and she was extremely nice and helpful.  We finished the class drawing pictures of bugs, and then we actually got to leave early.  Do what?  Early...on....a.....Monday.  Slap me and call me Charlie.  We gone!!  I knew Jesse would be thrilled that I wouldn't be late to pick him up at school, as I normally am on the horrid Mondays.  I even had time in the car to read my Roman History Primary Sources.  I was rolling in it!  I figured it was only a matter of time before the other shoe fell...and then I saw an email from my Environmental Science Professor.  I knew something was amiss, and it couldn't be good with the Subject Header...EXAMS.   I opened the email cautiously as not to get the bad news too quickly, and BOOM!!  This fellow, actually made a B on my exam.  There was a mistake that took off 8 percentage points.  Yep, that's right.  Add 8 points please.  That's right.  I'm the Best in the World!
     This Monday wasn't at all bad.  It was good.  Heck, I would do it all over again it was so good.  I got Jesse home, and I started typing up this blog post and the phone rang.  I went out to answer and it said Washington D.C.  I said, "Well, I guess they want me to come up there and run that place." Jesse said, "No Dad, that's where mom is.  In Washington."  I explained to Jesse that his mother was on the campus of the University of Mississippi in Oxford.  He asked, "Is she at Ole Miss?"  I said, "Yes, Ole Miss is in Oxford."  He went on to say, "Call her, and tell her to go see Peyton Manning for me."  I didn't bother to tell him that Peyton went to Tennessee.  Moral of the story....Monday's ain't all that bad.  The bad part is a myth.  The Myth of Monday.  I still don't like Monday's, but I'm trying to grow as a person.  That's all I got.  I'm off to Recycle!