Friday, April 4, 2014

Frozen in April

     Oh, the joy of a Disney movie.  Especially, the ones with grand musical themes and songs that stick with you like those scattered, smothered, and covered hash-browns from the Waffle House.  The latest Disney fascination at La Casa Perry is Frozen.  The story of Anna and Elsa and the eternally frozen kingdom of Arendelle.  My dear daughter Madison may be the biggest fan of the movie Frozen in the entire universe, and I'm REALLY not kidding here.  I have to watch clips from the movie on my iPhone with her before bed just about every night, and she knows all the songs in addition to having all the merchandise.  The most recent addition to Maddie's ever expanding collection of Frozen items was the Frozen soundtrack, and guess who had to be present during the inaugural presentation of all those glorious songs.  You guessed it....me.  I wasn't going into the belly of the Frozen beast alone however, so I brought my sole male heir, Jesse, with me in this perilous adventure.

     Let me set the stage for you.  Me, Maddie, Jesse, and the Frozen soundtrack on a fine rainy April morning heading to both of the children's respective schools.  Jesse is notorious about turning down the car radio when we approach his school for drop off, because of the potential embarrassment that he may receive if his friends hear.  Whether it be NPR when Cheryl drops him off or Guns-n-Roses when yours truly is driving the boat.  On this day he was petrified that dear old dad would be belting out the second verse to "Let it Go" as the door was opened up at the school.  Conceal, Don't Feel.  Maddie was not interested in Jesse's feelings here for two reasons, first she loves Frozen and doesn't care who knows, and second she's been mad at young Jesse since he hit her in the head with the baseball the other day.  Thud, like a melon, on the ole melon.  Jesse put some heat on it too.  It was an accident, but Maddie has a very long memory.  She doesn't forget anything, and it didn't bother her at all to watch Jesse squirm a little.

     We turned the corner heading to Mt. Olive Elementary School just about the time, "Do You Wanna Build a Snowman?" dropped on the old CD player.  You could see that Jesse was quite nervous about where this was going to go and he reached over to turn the system off.  Maddie immediately screamed, "Jesse!  Stop!"  I looked him square in the eye and sang, "Go away Jesse," and without missing a beat he sang back to me, "Okay Bye."  We got a good laugh about it, and I told him we should blast the schoolhouse with the Snowman song.  I told him this is the kind of thing that legendary moments are built on, and people would be talking about this for years to come.  My quick witted son responded, "Yea, for all the wrong reasons.  The story of Jesse and his dad singing Disney songs is not one I want to be remembered for."   Valid Point.  I turned the CD player down to avoid any embarrassment for my son, and I could see Maddie was quite disappointed.  We had not yet begun to sing!  We hadn't even hit "Let it Go" yet.

     As we left the school we sang, "For the First time in Forever," and then the song with that evil Hans before he was evil Hans "Love is an Open Door" played.  Then the Opus of Frozen awesomeness, "Let it Go" began to play.....and Maddie began to sing.....then I began to sing.....it was a magical moment.  "The snow glows white on the mountains tonight, not a footprint to be seen, A kingdom of isolation and it looks like I'm the queen."  Have you ever reached a moment in your life when you ask yourself, "How did I get here?"  I hit that moment right around, "The cold never bothered me anyway."  However, to be clear, there is nowhere in this world or any other that I would rather be.  The rain began to fall harder on our voyage to Maddie's school, but the soundtrack not only to Frozen but to our lives kept us company.  It's a shame Jesse wasn't here with us to revel in the joy!  He may not see it that way, though.

     About the time we hit Birmingham on I-65 we got to my favorite of all the Frozen people, Olaf.  Olaf is a super duper talking snowman who has an infectious laugh and amazingly positive outlook on life.  All dude wants to do is chill on the beach.  Snowman in summer, makes sense to me.  In fact, I didn't even mind all the idiots on the interstate on this rainy morning, because of Olaf.  I was getting into it too.  Doing a little cabbage patch dance in between verses.  I almost went old school and got out of the car and "broke it down" like we did back in the day on the Center Point Parkway.  There's a lot of ground  between MC Hammer and Olaf, and I am of course referring to the "Turn this Mutha Out" MC Hammer and not the later "I'm broke and I'm going to release crap" MC Hammer.  Regardless, Maddie and I was sure nuff Turning this Disney stuff out!  Break it down.

     They say that all good things must come to an end, and this was definitely a good thing.  This is one of those moments that I will cherish forever.  Me and my girl riding down the road and singing a few feel good songs.  It didn't matter that it could be considered a "little girly."  I don't care.  That is the beauty of getting older, because the older you get the less you care what people think.  We arrived at Maddie's school safe and sound, and happy.  I picked her up in my arms, grabbed her Frozen pillow and stuffed animals and took her into the school.  We laughed a little bit more as we walked inside.  Probably at Jesse's expense.  Maddie holds a grudge.  I carried her into her school room and put her precious items into her cubby.  I spoke with her teacher briefly, and then turned my attention back to the apple of my eye.  I gave her a big hug, and looked her in the eye and we shared something really special.  It was like time stood still for that moment.  It was as if we both knew that this was a moment we would both look back on fondly, and her clear blue eyes said volumes as she looked at me.  She smiled with her eyes and that was pretty cool.  I kissed her on her head and walked out the door, and I looked back one last time.  She was looking back at me too.  Do you wanna build a snowman?  Come on lets go and play.