Friday, September 12, 2014

The Road Not Taken

     The alarm sounds with the normal high intensity shrill that I have become accustomed to, and with one leap my feet hit the floor.  As is normally the case my foot finds the lone lego piece, undoubtedly left behind by one of the offspring.  It feels like Neptune's trident has pierced the bottom of my foot, but like Jesse Ventura in the first Predator movie, "I ain't got time to bleed."  The life that has chosen me awaits. Up and at 'em.  Coffee drank and kids woke.  Baths.  Teeth brushed.  Clothes picked (or at least attempted to be picked, because Maddie is the free spirit type.)  You haven't lived until you have a naked 5 year old scream at you at 6 am about a twirly skirt.  That is a fact.  My excitement is peaked in car pool lanes and birthday parties at the Chuckie Cheese.  I am a master of the art of Macaroni and Cheese preparation, and I make a mean milk.  I am dad hear me roar...or growl.  I could have been somebody.  I could have been a contender (shout out to Marlon Brando.)  I could have been President of the United States...strike that.  I inhaled.  That's out.  Hold on a minute here.  I've got the best job in the whole wide world.  I get to be a father and a trophy husband full time!  I'm the undefeated, undisputed heavyweight champion of the world!!!!  Hold on, I have to pick up little girl underwear and clean toothpaste out of the sink.  This is the Glamorous life.  Sheila E ain't got nothing on me. 

     It wasn't that long ago that putting folks in jail and teaching the art of the Redneck Jedi (Defensive Tactics/Expandable baton) was the calling card.  However, in the recent past its been changing diapers, head bottle washer, child coach and counselor, and all around cleaner/fixer/toenail clipper/snot and butt wiper/ and so on and so forth.  Both jobs had there ups and downs, and one was paid and the other is not.  If you ask him which one made him feel wealthy....well that question should answer itself.  The man is fortunate for the road he is on, and the one he decided not to take.

      The first child was a sweet blond haired blue eyed boy who would turn into a pretty smart cookie who moonlighted as quite a baller (that's young person speak for good athlete...at least I think it is.)  The boy was absolutely perfect as far as he was concerned, and watching him grow into the young man that he will become was of the utmost importance.  This boy's life would mean more than anything to the father, that is until an equally important miracle occurred.  A daughter.  A little girl with all the light of the world in her eyes, and a true gift for joy and happiness.  Sure, she turned out to be a hardcore legend that was as tough as they come, but a happier child I don't think exists in this world.

     What is that they say about the woman behind a man?  Is it that behind every great man is an equally great woman?  I've tried to research that phrase a little, and the origin is uncertain.  Some believe that it originated from the movements of the 60s and 70s involving women's rights.  I've got my own slant on that.  Behind every man is a woman that has influenced his life and helped to shape him.  First it is his mother and then his wife.  The two most important woman in the shaping of a man, and who he will be.  It's a fact.  Could the male species survive on this earth without women?  I would like to think so, but it sure would be a boring place.  The road that I took when it came to a soul mate was definitely the road less traveled.  I'm not trying to be Robert Frost here, but its true.  Total opposites.  She's a yankee and I'm a good ol' boy.  She's a democrat and I'm a republican.  She's a vegetarian and I am purveyor of eating seared animal flesh.  She drives a Prius and I don't.  I could go on, but you get the point.  Bottom line is this:  the luckiest day of my life was when I met her.

     This tribe.  This family unit.  These people that I would not hesitate to lay everything on the line for...well they are what it is all about.  They are my company on the road that I have chosen.  They are what sustains me throughout everything.  Mi Familia.  My Family.  My Loved Ones.  The four of us make up quite a team, and we're hard to beat.  There are a lot of teams just like ours out there, and lets hope that we're all doing something right for the future.  Sometimes I think about what would have happened if different decisions had been made, but I believe that things turn out like they're supposed to.  I believe that we are given a mind and a brain to think for ourselves and the decisions we make definitely effect what happens in our lives, but no matter what there is a destination that has been set forth beforehand.  It is up to us to find it.  I've found mine, and now as I enter the next phase of this life my eyes are open to all the possibilities.

     My life my rules.  The code I've lived by since my youth.  Sometimes it didn't exactly work out like I wanted, but overall I think I did pretty good.  The Road Not Taken has been pretty good to me, but that's probably how it was supposed to be all along.  I took the right road.